Hybrid topology is a combination of more than two topologies. In computer networking, a network structure that contains more than two topologies is known as hybrid topology. It inherits the advantages and disadvantages of included topologies.
For example, if there is a Mesh topology in one office department while a Ring topology in another department, connecting these two with bus topology will result in Hybrid topology. Combination of Star-Ring and Star-Bus networks are the most common examples of the hybrid network topology.
Types of Hybrid Network Topologies
There are different types of hybrid network topologies depending on the basic requirement of an organization but the most commonly used one is Star-Ring and Star-Bus topologies that make up the hybrid.
1. Star-Ring Network Topology
In a Star-Ring topology, a set of star topologies are connected with a ring topology as the adjoining topology. Joining each star topology to the ring topology is a wired connection.
Figure 1 demonstrates the Star-Ring topology:
Information from a given star topology reaching a connecting node in the main ring topology and the data can flow either in a bidirectional or unidirectional manner. A Uni-directional ring topology can transfer data in either clockwise or counterclockwise direction. thus, a uni-direction ring topology is a half-duplex, whereas a Bi-directional ring topology can transfer and receive data at the same time. Thus, a bidirectional ring topology can be called a full-duplex network.
2. Star-Bus Network Topology
A Star-Bus topology is the combination of star network topology and bus network topology, in Star-Bus network a set of star topologies are interconnected by a central bus network. Joining each star topology to the bus topology results the Star-Bus topology.
Figure 2 demonstrates the Star-Bus topology.
Advantages of Hybrid Topology:
- Hybrid network combines the benefits of different types of topologies
- Can be modified as per requirement
- It is extremely flexible.
- It is very reliable.
- It is easily scalable
Disadvantages of Hybrid Topology:
- It is expensive
- The design of a hybrid network is complex.
- Hardware changes are required in order to connect topology to another topology.
- What is Point to Point Topology? Advantages and Disadvantages
- What is Bus Topology? Advantages & Disadvantages
- What is Mesh Topology? Advantages & Disadvantages
- What is Ring Topology? Advantages & Disadvantages
- What is Tree Topology? Advantages & Disadvantages
- What is Star Topology? Advantages & Disadvantages
- What is LAN Network? Advantages and Disadvantages of LAN
- What is WAN Network? Advantages and Disadvantages of WAN
- What is MAN Network? Advantages and Disadvantages of MAN
- Network Operating System- Advantages and Disadvantages of NOS