The network is a medium that connects multiple computer systems with a common communication link. A network is categorized into four types such as Local Area Network (LAN), Metropolitan Area Network (MAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN) and Personal Area Network (PAN). And in this article, we will cover all about Personal Area Network.
What is Personal Area Network:
A personal area network (PAN) is a computer network organized around an individual for personal use only. They typically used for connecting different devices like smartphones, tablets, printers, computers, and other digital devices within the environment of an individual user (typically within 10 meters or 33 feet).
Personal Area Network is used for a personal purpose like for data sharing among devices within the personal area network range of 10 meters or 33 feet. For Example, If a computer is connected with the printer, scanner, and digital camera within the range of 33 feet then it is known as Personal Area Network.
Personal Area Network Types:
Some type of personal area networks is wired like printer connected with a personal computer while others are wireless like Bluetooth. Wireless personal area network is also known as WPAN
A Wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN) is a personal area network in which the connections are wireless. It is a low-power PAN that uses wireless networking technology such as Wifi, Bluetooth or ZigBee. The scope of the WPAN varies from a few centimeters to a few meters.
Few Examples of Wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN):
An example of a WPAN is using a Bluetooth mouse you’ve connected to a PC to control the computer operations. WPAN is also used in the following tasks.
- Wireless keyboards
- Wireless Mice
- TV remotes
- Wireless printers
- Gaming consoles
- wireless USB
Range of PAN:
Wireless personal area network covers a few centimeters up to 10 meters. These networks are specific types (or sub-subsets) of local networks that support one person instead of a group. Additional devices in the PAN can connect and run data on the main engine. With Bluetooth, such a layout could be as large as 100 meters (330 feet).
PANs can still access the Internet under certain conditions. For example, a device within a PAN can connect to a LAN that has Internet access, which is itself a WAN. For this, each network is smaller than the next, but all can connect.
Characteristics of a Personal Area Network
- It is mostly a personal device’s network equipped within a small area.
- It allows you to deal with information devices interconnected with a single user environment.
- PAN includes mobile phones, tablets, and laptops.
- It is possible to connect wirelessly to the Internet called WPAN.
- Devices used for PAN: wireless mice, keyboards, and Bluetooth systems
- Short-range communication
- It requires very low power
- Low cost
Examples Of Personal Area Network:
- Body Area Network: Body Area Network is a network that moves with an individual, For example, a mobile phone network moves with a person. Suppose an individual establishes an internet connection and then establishes a connection with another device for sharing information.
- Offline Network: You can create networks in your home, so it is also known as a home network. Home networks are designed to integrate devices such as printers, computers, TVs but are not connected to the Internet.
- Small Home Office: It is used to connect a variety of devices to the Internet and corporate networks with a VPN.
Advantages of personal area network:
As PANs are for personal use, so it has numerous advantages down below we have mentioned.
- In PAN no extra space requires.
- No need of extra cable and wire.
- Used in office, conference, and meetings
- It is used in TV remotes, AC remotes, etc.
- Data can Synchronize between different devices.
- Connect to many devices at a time
- No extra space requires.
- Affordable Cost.
- Easy to use:
Disadvantages of personal area network:
- PAN can be operated in less range of areas.
- Can only be used for personal area
- Slow data transfer
- Interfere with radio signals:
- Infrared signals travel only in a straight line
In this article, we learned that Personal Area Network is used for a personal purpose like for data sharing among devices within the personal area network range of 10 meters or 33 feet. Also in this article, we have provided the ppt of personal area network and we have covered types of PAN networks, examples of PAN, Characteristics of PAN network, advantages and disadvantages of personal area network.