In this article, you will get all information regarding Personal Injury – Auto – Car Accidents – Slip and Falls Rhode Island Frequently Asked Questions by a RI Lawyer

Q: When I meet with my personal injury attorney for the first time, are there any special documents I need to bring?

Answer: You should give your lawyer as much information as possible. If your lawyer has more information, he will be better able to advise you about your legal rights. You must bring all documents relating to your case. The accident report is a very important document that you should bring to your lawyer. Article by attorney David Slepkow (401) 437-1100.

If you have eyewitness accounts or medical records or reports from your doctors, you should also bring them to your lawyer. If you have photos of the accident or of your injury, please bring them to the lawyer’s meeting. If you do not have the documentation, your lawyer can collect the documents for you.

Q: What type of information will the attorney request at the initial consultation regarding my Rhode Island personal injury or car accident case?

Answer: Your attorney will request general information related to your medical treatment. The lawyer will try to compile a list of the name and address of all treating doctors and physicians. This includes physiotherapists, chiropractors, visiting nurses and other doctors. The attorney may also ask you for a list of previous medical providers.

Question: What usually happens at the first consultation:

Answer: The personal injury attorney you have chosen will tell you if you have a valid legal claim. If you decide to hire that attorney, the attorney will ask you to sign a retainer agreement. The retainer agreement is an important legal document that a lawyer must obtain. At the initial consultation, it is extremely difficult for your lawyer to tell you the value of your case. The value of your case depends on many circumstances, which include the amount of your medical bills and the nature and extent of any pain and suffering. The value may depend on whether your injury is permanent or not, whether there have been periods of partial or total disability, whether there has been disfigurement, scarring or other physical damage and the amount of your lost wages, etc.

After you have completed treatment or reached a certain point in your medical treatment, the attorney will submit a settlement claim with all relevant records and documentation to the insurance adjuster. If the insurance company believes the claim is justified and the insurance attorney and the attorney can agree on a figure, the case will be settled out of court. Although the attorney will attempt to settle the case, the attorney will prepare the case for court in the event that the case is not resolved.

Question: What is necessary to have a valid personal injury case?

Answer: If you have been injured as a result of the negligence or intentional act of another person or entity, you have a potential personal injury lawsuit. It is not always necessary to have a physical injury to file a personal injury lawsuit. A personal injury case can be pursued based on the diminution of your reputation or an intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Question: What exactly is a settlement in a personal injury case?

Answer: If you settle a Rhode Island personal injury car accident or slip and fall case, you agree to accept a sum of money in exchange for either not pursuing a personal injury lawsuit against the person or entity or dismissing a personal injury lawsuit against a person or entity. If the case settles, you must sign a release releasing each party from any potential future liability. To determine whether you should accept a personal injury settlement, your attorney must evaluate the amount of damages you have suffered, the likelihood of prevailing at trial, and any other factors the attorney deems appropriate.

A settlement can be reached at any time prior to the filing of the lawsuit or after the lawsuit is filed, and at any time until the verdict of the jury. The case can even be decided after the trial if the case is under appeal.

At Slepkow, Slepkow & Associates, Inc. it is our firm philosophy that it is the customer’s decision whether to accept a personal injury settlement. We will certainly help you make this decision by providing all the essential information and answering any relevant questions you may have. We will often give our recommendation as to whether a settlement is fair. We always let our clients make the final decision on whether to accept a personal injury or car accident settlement.

Q: What if I am unhappy with the lawyer handling my case? Do I have the right to a new attorney in Rhode Island? If I get a new lawyer, who will pay for the legal services provided by the old lawyer?

Answer: In Rhode Island (RI), if you are dissatisfied with your attorney’s legal representation, you have the right to get a new attorney at any time. Your old lawyer may have a statutory lien in your personal injury case. If you are successful or the case is settled, your old lawyer will be entitled to be paid for the legal services he provided you. However, you do not have to pay the old lawyer when acquiring a new lawyer. When your case is settled, or when you receive funds as a result of a judgment, the old and the new lawyer will divide the contingent legal fees equally. In other words, it will not cost you additional funds if you retain a new lawyer. The old and the new lawyers must reach an agreement on the legal share that the old lawyer will receive.

Question: Is it a good idea to wait a while before I hire a lawyer?

Answer: You should contact a Rhode Island personal injury attorney immediately after the accident. It is not a good idea for a person to deal with the insurance adjuster regarding their personal injury or car accident claim.

Q: Am I required to provide a recorded statement to the insurance company at their request?

Answer: There is no legal requirement that you provide a written statement to an insurance administrator. However, if the insurer is your own insurer, you may be contractually obliged to provide a written statement. You should not make any statement unless you have a legal representative present and you should obtain a copy of the transcript.

Question: What types of cases are typically handled on a contingent fee basis?

Answer: Car/car accidents, slip and fall, trip and fall, premises liability, bicycle accidents, motorcycle accidents, boat accidents, truck accidents, pedestrian accidents, wrongful death, uninsured or underinsured, motorist claims, intentional infliction of emotional distress, dog bite claims, etc.

Personal Injury – Auto – Car Accidents – Slip and Falls Rhode Island Frequently Asked Questions by a RI Lawyer

For more visit

Latest News by